Friday, May 18, 2012

First Aid/CPR/AED class

wondered what my status on facebook meant yesterday?

So grateful for a wonderful husband who takes great care of me. :)

wondering now?


well, yesterday a first happened that i never expected. 

with my summer job, i have to become First Aid/CPR/AED certified. now before i go any further, let me explain something about myself. i don't like medical talk. plain and simple. even if you are telling me about the time you gave yourself a papercut , it will probably freak me out. [it's not always this extreme, but is possible]

okay, so yesterday morning was part 2 of the class. when we got there, the AC must have been turned off in the room because it was very, very warm. so about 10-15 minutes into the class, the instructor was going over seizes, strokes, diabetes, allergies, etc. can you guess what happened to this girl?

medical talk + warm room + getting a head cold = britt passing out

for about 10 minutes i felt light headed and did what i could to keep myself calm. after the 10 minutes of squirming in my seat, sipping water, putting my hair in a pony, taking my watch off and resting my head, i finally realized i needed to lay down. on my way to the bathroom, i made it about 5 ft until needing to lean against a foosball table and seeing black. the instructor helped me into the office area where it was cool and laid on the floor right outside an office. 

what do they teach in CPR class? well, if you don't know the person's history, call for an ambulance. 

so, when EMT arrived, i was starting to feel better, just still dizzy and feeling nauseous. so they did all their duties and decided to take me to the hospital. at this point, it's a bit of a blur. i remember them saying they think i should get checked out because someone my age and being healthy, this isn't typically normal. i think they mentioned something with my blood pressure. i remember telling them i get lightheaded at the doctors office. i also remember being freaked out about everything going on and kept wondering when cody would show up [they had called him and he was on his way]. 

when arriving to the hospital, the doctor did a couple checks and released me after about 20-30 minutes. he gave us a fancy word for fainting, said i am completely fine and there probably is no reason to run expensive tests. just to rest and drink lots of fluids. 

so all in all, i am fine. i've been debating if this was something i wanted to blog about. to be honest, i feel a little silly that they took me to the hospital. i feel a little embarrassed about being the girl who passed out in CPR class. but, we know that everything is okay. and when not feeling embarrassed, i find it ironic and a bit humorous. not everyone can say they were the reason EMT arrived at First Aid/CPR class. let alone get class pointers from the EMT while going to the hospital. 

No comments:

Post a Comment